06 September 2012

my foolish weakness

"I expect more goodness from Kate my wife, from Philip Melachthon, and from other friends, than from my sweet and blessed Saviour Christ Jesus; and yet I know for certain that neither she nor any other person on earth will or can suffer that for me which He has suffered. Why then should I be afraid of Him? This my foolish weakness grieves me very much. We plainly see in the Gospel how mild and gentle He showed Himself towards His disciples; how kindly He passed over their weakness, their presumption, yea, their foolishness. He checked their unbelief and in all gentleness admonished them...Fie on our unbelieving hearts that we should be afraid of this man who is more loving, friendly, gentle, and compassionate towards us than are our own kindred, our brothers and sisters--yea, than parents towards their own children." ~Martin Luther

No comments: